Thursday, August 21, 2008

Words of the Day: Volume 2

I should have more time to write tomorrow, but here are some quick words of the day.

chicheme - a drink made of corn, milk, and sugar that is served cold. Not bad, and definitely different.

Diablo Rojo - The buses that transport people around Panama City and the surrounding areas. The cost of a ride from Santa Clara to Chorrero is 60 cents via 2 buses.

alla and alli - Alli is spanish for "there. " Alla is slang for "there" and refers to anything unknown or far away. The United States is alla.

4 comments:

Gina said...

So how's the spanish going? Does your host family speak any english or strictly spanish? Do you feel completely lost language wise or like you can eek by? I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time and will be quite fluent. Especially by the time I come down to visit.

Josh said...

Spanish is going well. Us gringos are the only ones in town who speak any english. I´m not completely lost with the language. I can get by and hold a conversation with a little effort if everyone speaks slowly. Luckily, my host brother speaks slowly.

Home on the Palisades said...

How old is your host brother? Are there other kids?

Josh said...

My host broter is 17, and I also have an 8 year old sister.