Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Scenes from the Isthmus

Here are a few pictures that I didn't have anyplace else to put.


This is a guayacane which is sort of the arboreal mascot of Coclé. This picture doesn't do them justice. They are bright yellow, and sort of glow in the middle of the green jungle. I think planting a forest of these and then waiting 50 years for them to grow to full size and bloom would be worth the wait. I keep picturing what that would look like. Sort of a yellow version of Japan's cherry blossoms.


This is a general map of my site from San Miguel Centro at the bottom.



I caught this woodpecker enjoying an orange one day. This was taken 3o feet from my new house.


Rats 1. Shirts 0.


These are Marañon. Believe it or not, these are where cashews come from. Each one of these fruits contains one cashew nut. The fruits themselves are edible and taste a little like apples except not as juicy and with the texture of styrofoam, which isnt as bad as it sounds.


This path was cut by leaf cutter ants, and is probably over 300 feet long in total. Back in the states, I'd see leaf cutter ants in zoos and think how unusal and exotic, but down here they are everywhere. I have nothing but respect for them though. With every rain their house gets washed out (and it rains ALOT,) but they just keep building and never stop. Keep it up guys. Don't listen to anything that silly grasshopper has to say.


Full moon. I thought I'd test out the zoom on my camera one night, and the picture came out well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What type of camera do you have? All the pictures are great, but I reall like the one of the moon. Nicely done.

Josh said...

I have a Canon Powershot S5IS. It's a super zoom camera that takes great pictures and videos. It's only down side is its size, it's a big camera to haul around.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/