Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Graduate

Training is finally over and this afternoon we swear in as official volunteers. It's a relief to finally be done with training and I think all 34 of us are ready to head to our communities and get started on our work. We'll have the next couple of days to celebrate, and then we head to our sites on Sunday. I'm ready but can admit to being a little nervous about living in a site that has no electricity, running water, or cell phone signal and requires a 2 hour hike to the nearest road to leave. However, I'm looking forward to it, and believe I will eventually adjust.

4 comments:

Ruth Samuel said...

Josh -- Really enjoying your blog. Love the pictures of the birds and people. Looks like you're having a fantastic experience. Love, Ruth and Les

Home on the Palisades said...

Ingrid here with your Mom --

It's great to get an update on your experiences! The new phase sounds very challeging, but if anyone can cope with it you can! Your Mom told me over lunch that you may be getting a horse. That might actually be a fun part of your life in this remote spot.

Your Mom and I have just been to a Richard Avedon Portrait exhibit at the Corcoran. It was fantastic! It would be interesting to see some portraits of the people you are now mingling with.

Have I told you that I am going to be spending Christmas in Key West with Hugh, Annie and the girls from Sweden? I've rented a house complete with swimming pool (unheated, unfortunately!). Hugh was born in Key West, but hasn't been back since. I'll show him the house that he came to after he was born.

Did you get the letter I sent some time ago?

Thinking of you with much love,
Ingrid

RMT said...

Josh - do you have plenty of TP, or should we send you some?? My prayers are with you as your start the next phase of your grand adventure. Keep taking great photos!!!

Semper Parata!

RMT.

newhampsha said...

Hi Josh. This is my very first ever blog post. Following your blog has been my initiation into the blogging universe so double thanks. Really have been enjoying your posts and terrific pictures. This adventure you're on is amazing and experiencing it vicariously thru your blog has been lots of fun. Granny and I had a great time visiting your folks in DC earlier this month. Hope you are well. Are you still in the market for a horse? Love, Judy